Monday, August 5, 2013

What to say to a grieving person...

Isn't this the truth ...

Please learn from this (I've written about this before too)..

If someone loses a child then say "I'm sorry", "I don't know what to say" (that's even better than what most people say), "I'm here for you"..

Here's what I like the most: "I'm sorry, I'll never forget XXX".. So for me "I'm sorry, I'll never forget Lily"..

We have an overwhelming, anxiety causing, HUGE fear when our child passes away that "what if people forget them".. For me "what if people forget Lily Grace"..

That is a horrible, horrible thought.. For me.. Lily means the world to me & so many people didn't get to meet her because her heart was so sick and she was so young..... So that's exactly why I started this page..

Don't say "Be positive", "Don't worry..", "God needed another angel", "it's Gods plan", "she's no longer suffering", and On & On.. Please stick to what I said up there.. I know the majority of comments from others are meant from a good place but.. sometimes it can make things worse.. We are just not in a good place to hear those things..

YOU CAN'T ...explain it or reason it away. You don't know so why guess or try to figure it out? A child dying (at any age) makes no sense.. NONE.. No need to rationalize or analyze it..

Please learn from this.. Please read... Please share.... (below is from FB page: Silent Grief- Child Loss Support):
Sometimes people will say things to bereaved parents that hurt so much, but the intent was to sincerely help. They will make comments like, "Time heals all things. At least you had some time with your child. Think of the fun times together -- don't remember his/her death. Focus on the future, not the past. This was done for a reason -- look at what all you've learned." And, on and on and on it goes. What is really needed to help those grieving the loss of a child are fewer words and more shared tears, listening ears, and a much more supportive friendship. When a child dies, our world as we knew it is forever changed. Missing our child is forever. Time doesn't heal those things. Listenening, non-judgmental ears are a blessing and a comfort. A person will NEVER know what it feels like to miss a child so much you want to die until you've been in that situation. Therefore, others have no reason and no right to tell the bereaved how they should or should not grieve the loss of their child. Child loss is a pain that cannot be explained in human terms. It hurts too much!

No comments:

Post a Comment